Dental cleanings and examinations are just a part of achieving and maintaining oral health and wellness. Drs. Siegelman and Ng of New York, NY, provide these services for new and current patients. But what exactly is the dental hygienist doing during the dental cleaning?
Below are the steps involved in professional cleanings:
- Your dental hygienist cleans your teeth by removing plaque and tartar (hardened plaque) from the surface of your teeth. Plaque is a sticky film of food debris, bacteria, and saliva. Tartar is hardened plaque that has been left on the teeth for some time and can only be removed with professional cleaning.
- Your hygienist will also floss your teeth and may use special instruments to clean between your teeth where a toothbrush cannot reach.
- They will also polish your teeth with a gritty paste to remove any remaining stains or discoloration and leave the teeth smooth and beautiful!
- Fluoride application. After your cleaning, your hygienist will likely apply a fluoride treatment to help prevent cavities. They may also talk to you about whether or not you are a candidate for dental sealants, too, which may also be quickly applied to the teeth before patients leave.
- Dental education. They may also give you tips on how to take better care of your teeth at home, such as which toothpaste and mouth rinse to use or how to floss more effectively. Overall, the goal of dental cleaning is to help keep your teeth healthy so that you can avoid costly dental problems in the future.
- Answers questions. If you have any questions about what your hygienist is doing during cleaning, be sure to ask them! They are there to help you understand what they are doing and why it matters for the health of your teeth. They can also evaluate the teeth as they are cleaned and provide this information to the dentist for further examination.
Schedule your dental examination and cleaning
If you are due for a dental cleaning and examination and want to work with Drs. Siegelman and Ng, call their office at 212-974-8737 for an appointment. They are accepting new and current patients in the area of New York, NY.