Needle Phobia Dentist New York
Needle phobia is a severe fear of needles or injections of any kind. Some people are fearful about injections only in the dental environment. Others avoid injections for medical examinations, blood work, vaccinations or medical procedures. This fear can lead people to avoid needed medical care. While the cause is often a learned fear from a bad experience, some doctors believe that the cause may actually be genetic. The question is, “What kinds of help are available for patients so they can receive the care they need. Our New York City office has many techniques and solutions, depending on the needs of the patient.
How can we help?
There are many solutions for needle phobia including nitrous oxide, various types of sedation, and an understanding dentist. Modern technology provides, even more, solutions to help people with dental needle phobia. Laser dentistry is a great option and has a variety of benefits. The first step is support and understanding of the issue. We start with a discussion of the patient’s past experiences which may include a previous doctor who was perceived as rough or stern. For many patients, letting them know that we have a gentle touch, backed by up-to-date techniques is all they need. However, other patients may have a history of panic attack or fainting associated with injections. For these more advanced cases, some type of medication to relax the patient is usually recommended. Some patients just need “something to take the edge off,” others need a deeper level of sedation. Each patient is treated as an individual to give them what they need to be comfortable. We listen and get the history of the patient’s experiences so that we know how we can best help.
- Premedication with medication for anxiety, is sufficient for most patients. It is often followed by deeper sedation if the dental procedures are prolonged or involved.
- Patients can have complete anesthesia just by breathing a gas, called an “inhalation induction,” if needed.
- Laser dentistry can accomplish dental work without the use of needles by generating a beam of concentrated light energy to a precise area. Laser technology is used to treat tooth decay and gum disease.
- Advanced formulations of topical gels are available.
- “The Wand” is available. It’s a computer controlled device that controls the speed of injection, and therefore can create less pressure. “The Wand” looks a lot less like a syringe, which helps many people feel more secure.
- For some patients, just reading this article is very difficult. Just the thought of an injection may be too much for some people. Even so, there are many ways we can help. Talk to us, and we’ll work out a plan that will address your concerns and help ease your needle phobia.
Call our New York City office if you live in New York City, Westchester County, Long Island, Rockland County, New Jersey or Connecticut and suffer from needle phobia.