We all want to enjoy a bright, radiant smile. We understand and we greatly enjoy helping our NYC patients get their best smile using professional teeth whitening treatment. While advantageous and very convenient, teeth whitening is only one way to foster a brighter smile. Here, we want to discuss both what can stain teeth and what can help keep them whiter.
The Common Culprits of Stained Teeth
You may be well aware that your morning cup of coffee or tea will stain your teeth. Along with these beverages, we commonly see red wine listed as a teeth stainer. But there’s more. Did you also know that discoloration can also be caused by foods such as:
- Tomato-based sauces
- Soy sauce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Hard candies
Does the fact that these common foods and beverages contribute to teeth stains mean you cannot enjoy any of them, ever? Of course not. But you might consider a few trades. Along with brushing regularly, drinking water throughout the day, and seeing your dentist for professional cleanings and teeth whitening, it is also beneficial to consume foods that naturally clean teeth from debris that could stain.
Teeth-cleaning foods to enjoy include:
- Apples, which scrub debris off surface enamel.
- Strawberries and pineapple, which both contain bromelain, a natural stain-buster.
- Broccoli and cauliflower which, like apples, promote saliva production while simultaneously scrubbing teeth. Broccoli is also high in iron, which builds strong enamel.
- Cheese, with abundant calcium, fortifies enamel and also promotes saliva production to wash away food particles that could stain enamel.
- We cannot overstate the importance of water for a healthy, radiant smile. Frequent water consumption throughout the day cleanses and strengthens teeth against plaque buildup that could lead to discoloration and other problems.
Dr. Siegelman, a Board-Certified Dental Anesthesiologist, is a well-known sedation dentist that has helped hundreds of people overcome their fear of dental care. His compassionate care also helps people gain the utmost confidence in their smile. If you’re ready for a brighter smile, schedule a consultation at (212) 974-8737.